During a 72 hour period between May 16-18, 2023, the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) will be conducting their annual Roadcheck. During the Roadcheck, CVSA-certified inspectors will primarily look at anti-lock braking systems (ABS) and cargo securement.
Last year, the top five vehicle out-of-service violations involved brake systems, cargo securement, defective service brakes, lights and tires.
To ensure a smooth and safe Roadcheck experience, we advise drivers to take the following precautions:
- Conduct Pre-Trip Inspections: Before hitting the road, make sure to conduct a thorough pre-trip inspection of your commercial vehicle. This includes checking all lights, tires, brakes, and other critical components. Address any issues found before starting your trip.
- Be Prepared for Inspections: During the Roadcheck event, you can expect to be inspected at any time. Be sure to have all necessary documentation on hand, including your commercial driver’s licence, vehicle registration, insurance, permits, BOL and TDG documents. Inspectors may also ask to see your electronic logging device (ELD) and other safety-related equipment.
- Follow Hours of Service Regulations: Compliance with hours of service regulations is critical for both safety and regulatory compliance. Make sure to log all hours accurately and take the necessary breaks to ensure you are well-rested and alert while driving.
- Drive Defensively: During the Roadcheck event, there may be increased traffic and congestion on the roads. Drive defensively and be aware of other vehicles around you. Follow all traffic laws and regulations, including speed limits and right-of-way rules.
- Stay Informed: Keep up to date with the latest news and updates regarding the Roadcheck event. Follow the CVSA website and social media channels for updates and information.
Please ensure that all defects are reported to the maintenance department immediately so that repairs can be scheduled and completed prior to the start of Roadcheck 2023.
Northwest has received 0 safety infractions over the last FOUR years. Let’s stay diligent and make it FIVE in a row.